Current Conservation Issues
Projects under watch:
- Norwest Energy, Eneabba
- BAJV Bauxite, Morangup/Avon Valley NP
- Meelup Regional Reserve – Mountain Bike Trail
- Warwick Bushland ‐ Hockey Stadium construction now half completed
- Bunbury Outer ring road – awaits funding
- Monitored weekly for impact on rare and threatened orchid species
- Concerns over the clearing procedures in the Shire of Jerramungup on the road widening project on the Boxwood Hill‐ Ongerup Road
Helena and Aurora Range Mining Proposal:
The issue of potential mining in this area has been around for some time. It would alarm most Western Australians to know our Environment Minister has gone against the independent advice of the Environment Protection Agency (EPA). But unfortunately it appears Minister Jacob has done precisely this.
The Helena and Aurora Range is a pristine landscape; the “jewel in the crown” of our Great Western Woodlands.
It is a spectacular banded‐ironstone formation, a biodiversity hotspot, home to more than 75 bird species, to say nothing of many species of orchids and one of our State treasures.
WANOSCG will be preparing letters on behalf of our Group to go to the Minister and for members to use to send their local WA member.
More details on this issue: Helena and Aurora Ranges Mining Proposal
- Jandakot Airport Extensions – 2009